Monday, April 26, 2010

DVD Playback for Ubuntu 10.04

DVD playback in Ubuntu has always been a little bit of a pain. Here is how to do it in a couple of easy steps.

First you need to make sure you have all the goodies that were not included in Ubuntu 10.04.

# sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will give you the codecs you need and some other goodies. Next you have to manually set up the ability to read DVDs.

# sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Now just pop in your DVD and you should be all set.

Read the full article at http://www.crackednoodle.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brad. I wonder why they leave that part out of 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' installation? Anyway, works fine now. -samg@abacus

-Crip said...

Thanks for this. Always a PITA to get DVDs to work under Ubuntu. Bookmarked for the next time I forget.

www.murcia-3d.com said...

So, I don't actually suppose it will have effect.

I. M. Anoldgeek said...

I had problems playing DVDs with Movie Player, with VLC, and with XBMC. All would play about 1 second, then buffer for 3-5 seconds.

I finally resolved it by changing my VLC buffer to 3000ms. Well, it worked once...

Hardware: AMD 4200+ x64, nVidia GT 210 512MB, system RAM 2GB--so it shouldn't be not enough hardware considering my ASUS netbook with a 1.6GHz dual core AMD and ATI onboard graphics played DVDs fine via USB 2. Been using Ubuntu for over a year now, and there are still a lot of things that don't work as easily as they should...